If your parents ever told you, “that’s just an old wives tale,” you aren’t alone. However, these ’stories’ can run the gamut from curiously helpful to completely whacky. Here are the Top 5 best ‘luck’ ones I’ve heard to date:
1) A cricket in the house brings good luck – not to the person who can’t sleep through the noise.
2) It’s bad luck to leave through a different door than the one used to come in – ummmm, anyone ever hear of an apartment?
3) If the palm of your right hand itches it means you will soon be getting money – that’s not what the nuns told my male Catholic school friends.
4) It’s bad luck to leave shoes upside down – especially if you stepped in something outside.
5) An apple a day keeps the doctor away – not a good thing if you’re married to the doctor.
So, all in all, as long as you refrain from crossing your eyes, making an ugly face, stepping on a crack or swallowing a watermelon pit, you should be just fine. At least until the next time you eat before swimming, sit too close to the tv or crack your knuckles!